Leaving Certificate Applied
The aims of St. Dominic’s Hotel Catering and Tourism Course in St. Dominic’s College is to introduce students to the world of food, catering and hospitality and tourism. To expose them to the opportunities in the world of work associated with this industry. St. Dominic’s aim is to ensure each student reaches their full potential. In these Modules the students will be provided with a vehicle to develop their interpersonal skills, decision making, planning, team building, organisational skills and evaluation abilities. Over the two year course in St. Dominic’s we aspire to offer opportunities so the students can develop self confidence and a sense of community. The course will expose students to the fast food, hotel, restaurant and industrial catering sectors of the Hotel Catering and Tourism industry as well as avenues for related training and career advancement. This course will allow students to:
- Become competent in basic culinary skills.
- Enable students to understand and apply safety and hygiene work practices.
- Help students to be wise consumers.
- Provide students with an opportunity to explore tourism in Ireland and their local area and to develop an awareness of standards and hospitality in tourism.
- To familiarise students with a variety of diets to include an awareness of ethic, religions, dietary, vegetarian and health influences when planning menus.